Provincial Agricultural Land Commission branding logo
Provincial Agricultural Land Commission
Skip to navigation Skip to Contents Skip to Accessibility Statement
Home Applications and Notice Process Applications – old Making an Application Application Supporting Documents
Hero Image

Advice for Applications

Each application type requires different supporting documents to accompany the electronic submission.

Before you start, it is advised that you collect all of the applicable documentation and have it on hand to complete the application. If you do not have all of the information at the time of application, you can always resume the application at a later time. 

The following information and supporting documents are required in order to complete and submit an application.

1. Certificate of Title or Title Search Print

A Title for each parcel must accompany the application. Visit BC Land Title & Survey to obtain a copy of the Title.

Sample Title Search Print                       

2. Corporate Registry (if applicable)

If the parcel is owned by a registered company, please provide a copy of the Corporate Registry Summary that provides the names of the officers and directors. The Corporate Registry Summary is submitted in addition to a Certificate of Title.

Visit BC Registry Services at BC Online to obtain a copy of the Corporate Registry Summary.

3. Parcel Information

You will need the following parcel information which can be found on the Certificate of Title or Assessment Roll Report from BC Assessment:

  • Legal Description
  • Parcel Identifier (PID) (e.g. 000-111-222).
  • Parcel size in hectares (ha). To convert acres to hectares (ha), multiply acres by 0.4 to calculate the parcel area in hectares.
  • Date of Purchase. If the original purchase date of the property is different to that shown on the Title, please provide documentation of the original purchase date.

4. Agent Authorization (if applicable)

An agent becomes the single point of contact when acting on behalf of a landowner(s), corporation, local government, or Treaty First Nation Government. An agent must ensure that landowners are provided with all information being submitted to the local government/ALC and received from the local government/ALC. A letter authorizing the agent to act on behalf of the landowner must accompany the application.

An agent can be authorized if: 

  • an application is submitted on behalf of a single landowner; or

An agent must be authorized if: 

  • the parcel under application is owned by more than one person; or
  • the parcel(s) is owned by a corporation (private, Crown, local government, First Nations).

A letter of authorization must be signed by all landowners designating the agent to make the application on the landowner(s) behalf.

For more information on when and why to use an agent, please see the Who Can Make An Application section.

Agent Authorization Template  (fillable PDF)

5. Plan or sketch map of the proposal area

A map or sketch plan does not need to be drawn by a professional as long as the plan is clearly drawn, legible, and preferably to scale. Your plan or sketch should identify individual parcels by legal description and specify the area of each parcel. The plan or sketch is a visual representation of your proposal. If you do not have a map of your property, your local government office may be able to provide one for you.

Sample Proposal Sketch

6. Permits and Approvals (if applicable)

Applicable documentation and an explanation is required to account for any non-farm activity taking place on the parcel(s), and not permitted under the Agricultural Land Reserve Use Regulation. If the non-farm use predates the ALR (December 21, 1972) please provide supporting documentation.

The following attachments are optional for all application types:

1. BC Assessment Roll Report or Property Assessment Notice (if applicable)

If you indicate that the parcel has “farm status” from BC Assessment, a copy of an Assessment Roll Report or Property Assessment Notice must be provided for verification.

Provide a copy of the most recent Property Assessment Notice or visit BC Online to obtain a copy of the BC Assessment Roll Report.

2. Photographs (strongly recommended)

Site photos enable the ALC to view a parcel if its location or time of the year prevents a site inspection from being conducted. Photographs of the subject property and proposal area may include structures or physical features relating to the proposal. Photographs should be accompanied by a description of the photo and an additional sketch map which indicates where, and in which compass direction, the photos were taken.

Site Photo Instructions

3. Maps

Maps of the subject property may include aerial photos, context maps, topographic maps, etc.

4.  Professional Report

Professional reports are not required for ALC applications; however, if a professional report is submitted, the ALC requires consistency in the quality and format of technical reports submitted to the ALC by applicants (owners) and their agent(s). 

1.  Resource Extraction and Fill Placement Proposals – Criteria for Technical Reports Submitted by Consultants

2.  ALC Policy P-10 – Criteria for Agricultural Capability Assessments

In addition to the general documents required for an application, exclusion applications require proof of public notification and the hosting of a public hearing pursuant to s. 29(2)(a) and (b) of the ALC Act. The applicant is responsible for ensuring these notice requirements are fulfilled prior to filing the application.

Refer to the Exclusion Application Guide for information regarding the notification and signage format.

1. Copy of Newspaper Advertisements

The application must include copies of the notice of public hearing as required by s. 14(1)(a), s. 15, s. 17(a), and s. 19(a) of the ALR General Regulation.

2. Public Comments & Public Hearing Report

Applications submitted under s. 29(1)(a)(b) or (c) of the ALC Act must include a report of the public hearing and all public comments received.

3. Photographic Proof of Signage

The purpose of the sign is to identify the property so that any person reading the notice in the newspaper can confirm the location. Photographs of the sign showing relation to the road must be submitted with the application.

In addition to the general documents required for an application, soil and fill use applications to place fill/remove soil require:

1.  Site Plan

Site plan of the proposed project area

2.  Cross Sections

Cross sections of the proposed project showing the existing, proposed, and reclaimed profiles must be accurate and drawn to scale.

1. Brochure “Advisory for Landowners in the ALR”

This brochure must be provided to all landowners of affected properties.

Brochure “Advisory for Landowners in the ALR”

2. Transportation, Utility, and Recreational Trail Use Proof of Serving Notice

You must serve a copy of the brochure “Advisory for Landowners in the ALR” to all registered owners of land in the ALR that are affected. It is the registered owner of the property that must be served the notice and this may not necessarily be the occupant.

Transportation, Utility and Recreational Trail Use Proof of Serving Notice Template (download fillable PDF)