Who Can Make an Application


Applications can be made by a single Landowner, Local Government, Provincial Government, Treaty First Nation Government.

Landowner (Person, Corporation, Local Government, Treaty First Nation Government)

The owner registered on the Certificate of Title (Title Search Print) for the parcel(s) under application.

Additional Local Government and Treaty First Nation Government Applications

Local Governments and Treaty First Nation Governments may also make an application pursuant to s. 17(1) and 29(1) of the ALC Act (i.e. Block Applications).


Using an Agent

An agent can be anybody who is appointed by the landowner, and is authorized to act on the landowner’s behalf (e.g. consultant, staff, lawyer, surveyor, registered professional, relative, friend, co-owner of the property, etc). An agent is optional in some circumstances. Read on below to see if your situation requires an agent or not.

The agent must have access to the internet and have an email address.

An agent becomes the single point of contact when acting on behalf of a landowner(s), corporation, local government, or Treaty First Nation Government. The agent must ensure that landowners are provided with all information submitted to the local government/ALC and received from the local government/ALC. A letter authorizing the agent to act on behalf of the landowner must accompany the application.

An agent can be authorized if:

  • An application is submitted on behalf of a single landowner (person)

An agent must be authorized if:

  • The parcel under application is owned by more than one person; or
  • The parcel(s) is owned by a corporation, provincial government, local government, or treaty First Nation Government.


A letter of authorization must be signed by all landowners designating the agent to make the application on the landowner(s) behalf.


Agent Authorization Template (download fillable PDF)

Single landowners have the option to either submit an application themselves, or authorize an agent to submit the application on their behalf.

Single Landowner

Multiple landowners must authorize an agent to act on their behalf. The agent can be one of the landowners, or a third party agent.

Multi-Landowner Agent

The agent can be a person named on the Corporate Registry as an authorized signatory, or a third party agent. If the agent is an authorized signatory on the Corporate Registry, upload your Corporate Registry in the Application Portal as the Agent Authorization. If the agent is a third party, an agent authorization form must be signed by an authorized signatory named on the Corporate Registry.

coprporation agent

The agent can be an authorized signatory (e.g. staff), or a third party agent.


What You Need to Make an Application

The person making the application needs:

  • A computer
  • Internet connection
  • A BCeID account (Basic or Business accounts only). A Basic BCeID account is the minimum requirement.

If you are not able to access the internet from home or at a friend’s or family’s home, BC Public Libraries usually have computer terminals available to the public. Alternatively, you can use an agent (e.g. friend, family, professional, etc) to make the application on your behalf.